Whirling Wader Spectacular Photo Tour
5 days & 4 nights experiencing the highlight of the UK’s birding calendar.
This form will open in a new window.
Dates & Times
Easy – Moderate
Join us on this amazing 5 day & 4 night photo tour experiencing one of the most stunning wildlife phenomenons in the UK, as between 80,000-140,000 birds take flight in the Whirling Wader Spectacular at RSPB Snettisham!
When dealing with nature we’ll always be at the mercy of the elements but we’ll monitor the weather closely to take advantage of possible landscape opportunities on our non-birding day.
We’ll be in place at The Wash in Snettisham and have four opportunities to view one of the most incredible wildlife events in the UK! We’ll watch in anticipation as the waders, mainly Oystercatchers and Knots, retreat from the rapidly advancing spring tide. When the tide advances far enough and the wading birds no longer have enough space to stand, they take off in their thousands and fly overhead to the safety of the lagoons behind in the RSPB sanctuary.
As we hear the roar of thousands of wings beating as one, we’ll photograph the unique shapes of their murmurations as they decide where to land.
We’ll experiment with shutter speed, as the flocks fly by and sway to and fro on the mudflats, giving you an array of unique images for your portfolio.
- Telephoto lens – preferably 300mm+, eg 70-300mm, 100-400mm, 200-500mm (we have some options available to share)
- Wide angle lens – 16-35mm, 10-24mm, 14-24mm (for landscapes)
- Walk around/kit lens – 18-55mm, 24-70mm, 24-105mm (less used)
- Don’t have a telephoto lens? We’ll have 3 telephoto setups available (please let us know at time of booking)
- We also have 3 branded teleconverters/extenders available Canon (1.4x) & Nikon (1.4x + 2.0x)
- Monopod or tripod & gimbal if using a lens that’s heavy for you.
- Tripod (for landscape opportunities)
- Extra Batteries
- Battery Charger (we have charging facilities on our vehicle)
- Extra memory cards (please bring a blank spare SD card to use our setups)
- ND Filters – optional/recommended for sunrises/sunsets or any long exposures during the day – we have multiple sets of Kase ND filters available to borrow
- Shutter trigger for landscapes (wired trigger recommended)
- Full head to toe wet weather gear – it is England, after all!
A full packing list will be provided prior to the tour.
Included / Not included
- Professional photo guide & tuition.
- Return transportation from central London in our comfortable 8 seat vehicle.
- Accommodation – Cottage style with own private rooms. Shared facilities. There may be supplements for Premium rooms (if available).
- Kase filter kits to borrow if required
- Battery charging facilities in the vehicle
- Personal & travel insurance
- Food & drink
- Travel to starting point or from endpoint of the tour.
- Anything not specified as “Included”
This tour involves walking of 30-60 minutes along paths/trails and requires occasional short steep steps or inclines. A person of average fitness level should have little difficulty.
Where we'll meet
Collection point for tour is 10:30am at Starbucks Coffee, Unit 1A Euston Tower Podium, Regents Place, London, NW1 3DP.
Meeting point map.
Return journey will have two drop off points.
1) Back to our initial collection point in central London, close to Warren Street, Euston Square, Euston, & Great Portland Street tube stations.
2) West Acton Station (Central Line, Ealing Broadway Branch).
We expect to return to London around 2-3pm.
I have learnt so much on this trip – taking the most amazing photos! Yourself and Phil gave me so much help which I am very grateful for.
If you do another trip to the Lake District I would love to join you again!
Many thanks for a wonderful trip last week, I really enjoyed it and have taken away so much 😊.
I’m about 80% through post processing, it’s really difficult to choose as there are so many great shots!
I’ve been considering buying Kase filters too!
UK Photo Tours is owned and operated by professional photographer, Dion Hitchcock.
Dion brings over a decade of expertise in teaching and guiding photography. He is an expat Australian and when not running photography tours, resides in London, UK, running photography workshops or as a locum pharmacist. His extensive travel experiences, spanning over 40 countries, ignited his passion for photography as a means to chronicle his journeys. This passion quickly evolved into a profound interest, leading him to actively participate in various camera clubs, assisting them in conducting workshops. Today, Dion independently operates his own workshops mainly across the UK, and occasionally internationally.
His London-based photography Meetup groups have 7,000+ members and over 500 5-star ratings.
Dion still maintains his registration as a pharmacist professional, dedicating his time to aiding patients and educating pharmacy students. However, he has transitioned his time into the realm of photography, where he assists clients in understanding the craft’s technical and artistic aspects. This shift, though unconventional, aligns with his upbringing; both of his parents were artists who nurtured his appreciation for the world’s inherent beauty. His extensive photography experience, professional background, passion for teaching, and numerous five-star reviews ensures you’ll be in the best of care whilst on tour.
You can reach Dion at email@example.com